Professional teeth whitening is an effective way to enhance your smile immediately. After years of sipping coffee, tea, red wine, or carbonated beverages, our teeth can look a little worse for wear.
However, that doesn’t mean we have to live with discolored teeth and shy away from smiling around others. At Clayton Smiles in Clayton, NC, we offer professional teeth whitening to remove stains and give patients the radiant smiles they’ve always wanted.
Why Do Our Teeth Stain or Look Discolored?
Our teeth are porous, like our skin, so stain-causing particles get trapped. Regularly brushing and flossing can help keep stains at bay, but sometimes, professional whitening treatment is needed to eliminate tough extrinsic stains.
The following contribute to dark, brown, mottled, or yellow teeth:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Dark or sugar-rich foods and drinks (e.g., soft drinks, tea, pasta, tomato sauce)
- Smoking or using tobacco products
- Natural aging
- Dental work, like a root canal or metal filling
- Certain medications or medical conditions
- Environmental factors (e.g., excessive fluoride)
Can Professional Teeth Whitening Help Me?
The American Association of Orthodontists discovered that nearly 90% of patients request teeth whitening to eliminate stains and brighten their smiles. At The Smile Shop, we offer three types of teeth whitening:
- Custom take-home trays – We provide you with custom-made whitening trays you can use in the comfort of your own home. Patients apply the whitening gel in the trays and wear the trays to remove stains and maintain a bright, white smile gradually.
- In-office booster whitening – Our in-office whitening instantly removes stains and whitens teeth in a single dental visit.
- Individual tooth whitening – If you have a single dark or yellow tooth, we can perform individual tooth whitening to improve its shade and luster.
Depending on your unique needs, your dentist will help you find the best treatment for your smile.
When Might Tooth Whitening Not Work?
Tooth whitening only lightens natural teeth, so they cannot whiten restorations like crowns, veneers, or dentures. If your restoration is stained, our dental team can help you clean them or replace them.
Also, if your tooth is internally discolored from an injury or infection, your dentist will speak with you about your treatment options.
How Do I Keep My Teeth Stain-Free?
To prevent stains from building up, we recommend that you:
- Brush your teeth at least twice daily with fluoride toothpaste, including before you go to sleep.
- Limit how much and how often you consume sugary drinks and foods.
- Visit your dentist regularly or as often as recommended to get your teeth professionally cleaned.
I’m Ready for a Whiter Smile. How Do I Get Started?
Our dental team at Clayton Smiles is here to help you reach your smile goals! If you’re ready to give your smile an aesthetic boost, please give us a call at our Clayton, NC, dental office.